May 2, 2012

MUSEUM OF THE CONFEDERACY

Anyone who knows me well is aware that I have a thing for the History Channel and war history and, perhaps most importantly, the South.  When I lived in DC, I got into a lot of disagreements with friends over the reason that the Civil War was fought, and even though I'll readily admit it's a good thing that the Union won, I'm always really interested in the Confederate side of the story.  It's where I grew up, and my great-great-great-great grandfather is actually buried in Richmond's Hollywood Cemetery for fighting on behalf of South Carolina.  He was killed in Deep Bottom, VA in 1864, but my family has been able to visit his gravesite, which I think is pretty neat.

Anyway, I've wanted to visit the Museum of the Confederacy for quite some time, and Molly was sweet enough to indulge me on Sunday!  These aren't all the pictures I took... I'll have to add more later when they upload.  They're also not the best pictures I've ever taken, but I'm sheepish about taking pictures in museums, so I usually take them quickly and without thinking about it real hard!

Molly wanted to take my picture in front of it, but since we walked a long way to actually get to the museum, I'm not letting you get a close-up.  Sorry.


Is it sad that I always wish North Carolina had seceded a little sooner?  I mean, just a little sooner than third to last.


Molly's homeland.  She may not love the Confederacy, but she does love Virginia.



I believe they said this belonged to Stonewall Jackson.



Sweet quote from my homeland...



This jewelry was made of the uniform buttons collected from Confederate leaders and generals, and we thought it was neat that they even knew who they belonged to.  Some of them had state seals on them, though, so I guess that made it easier.


I'll post more pictures either tonight or tomorrow, so we're not done yet!  No surrendering.

No comments: